Tuesday, October 17, 2006


WHOSE WOODS THESE ARE, I really don't have a clue; but stopping by them reminded me of Robert Frosts' wonderful poem. I don't think he'd mind my printing it here. Most of the writing in my Blog is my own, but sometimes I need to pay homage to a real poet.

WHOSE WOODS THESE ARE

Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-- Robert Frost

2 comments:

A&E&ME said...

I had a dream of a winter garden
A midnight rendevous
Silver blue and frozen silence
What a fool I was for you...
(Neil Peart)
Reading the Frost poem is refreshing for me because the last lines kept on echoing but the rest was never absorbed. Here & now it becomes stamped forever. "Miles to go..." describes my late arrival to parenthood. At 44 I'd die tomorrow a happy man save for my concern for my two very young children. I promise my kids "I'm always here for you". But now I find the forgotten parts of the poem ring hauntingly true. My ex and I lived in her parents century + old farmhouse and we raised horses. Her parents never lived there, they lived in the city. I (knowing nothing about horses) persued a vision of driving a team through the "frozen silence". I can't help but see how it is and how it ought to (have been) be when I hear "Dashing Through The Snow". I guess it's better to dream another dream now instead of living in the past. The kids need me to fulfill my promise.
So far I'm doing a really good, not perfect!, job.

Jerral Miles said...

Firebird,
Parenting is undoubtedly the most critical job we ever have in our lives. It sounds as if you're being serious and responsible. Best wishes.
Jerral