Friday, September 01, 2006



MOURNING DOVE

THE VISITATION
Today a mourning dove was waiting for me when I came outside. Like the hummingbird of a couple of weeks ago, he looked directly at me; but unlike the smaller bird, this one seemed to know he was on my territory. He waited while I went back inside to get my camera, and he tolerated my setting up to get the photograph. I got within four feet of him for the picture session. At first he faced me, and then as if on cue, he turned sideways as if to invite me to photograph his side and back feathers. I have often heard the low-toned, moaning “cooah, coo, coo, coo” of these birds, but I had never come close enough to get a good portrait. I didn't realize they had such big, wonderful eyes.

From several sources on the WEB I learned that mourning doves mate for life and have a very long nesting season each year, raising as many as six broods in a single season. Both parents secrete “pigeon milk” in the crop which they feed their chicks for three or four days after they hatch. After that both parents forage for seeds which they bring to the nest. They are said to travel as far as a thousand miles in their migration. My guess is the ones we have here stay in San Diego year-round. I’ll try to remember this year to listen for their call in January and February.

After a few minutes of staring at me, the dove flew up to a high limb of the eucalyptus tree behind the house. It was clear that he was still watching me from the tree. I think we made contact. Now we know each other.

No comments: