Sunday, August 27, 2006


The White Barn at Old Town in San Diego
COLOR SCHEME

Filling out a survey a couple of days ago for a local not-for-profit business (a questionable category for an organization that was asking me to contribute money to improve its bottom line), I was expected to check a box that would have placed me in a category, a pigeon hole. It has become my practice to ignore questions about race or ethnicity in surveys. Of course, if someone from the inquiring organization had been filling out the form for me, there is no doubt that he or she would have checked the “white” box. But that would have been incorrect. I am Caucasian, and I am a person of color. And my friends who are expected to check the black box are not black because black is the absence of color.

White is a color (more accurately, it contains all the colors of the visible spectrum and is sometimes described as an achromatic color—black is the absence of color) that has high brightness but zero hue. The impression of white light can be created by mixing (via a process called "additive mixing") appropriate intensities of the primary color spectrum: red, green and blue, but it must be noted that the illumination provided by this technique has significant differences from that produced by incandescence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White

HIBISCUS

No comments: